Your First Visit
We welcome new patients to our friendly practice!
1. Once you have booked your appointment with us, we will aim to cater to your individual needs and concerns. On your arrival, please come up to the 1st floor where our friendly Receptionist will be present, to welcome you. If you have trouble with waking up stairs, please note that we have a Stair-lift available for your comfort and ease and will be happy to assist you with using it.
2. You will be greeted at the Reception desk and given a medical history form to complete. For this purpose, we kindly request you to arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment time.
3. You will then be met by one of our friendly team members, who will take you through to the Dental Surgery. Your dentist will then discuss with you any needs and concerns, and guide you through our dental health check.
4. You will be able to discuss treatment options thoroughly, and when you are happy with the proposed plan, you will be given a copy for your own records.
5. Your first visit can often take a little longer than you may be used to, as we truly take time to get to know you and what you wish to gain from us.
Items you can expect us to discuss during your Dental Health Check:
- Are there any problems or concerns that you have in your mouth?
- How healthy do you feel your teeth and gums are, and do you wish to change any aspect of your smile?
- Your medical history and medications that you take, as this can often have an impact on treatment
- Risk factors for gum disease such as smoking, alcohol, stress, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and others
Items you can expect us to examine during your visit:
- Progress checks on x-rays
- If you are happy with your teeth and gums
- We will check your jaw joints
- We will check structures outside of your mouth and neck, such as salivary glands, lymph nodes etc
- We will check the lining of your mouth for oral cancer, ulcers or any other lesions
- We will check your gum health
- We will advised on areas of the mouth where we have located plaque deposits, and tailor our advise to your oral hygiene regime and any products that may assist with cleaning
- We will check your teeth for wear, through processes such as erosion (with acidic diets or reflux), attrition and abfraction (clenching or grinding your teeth) or abrasion (heavy brushing). We will check if the sensitive layers of your teeth or roots have been exposed, and also if any fractures are present
- We will check any restorations you have, such as fillings, crowns etc to make sure that they are sound
- We will check the areas under your restorations and in-between the teeth with appropriate x-rays
- We will check if your bone levels offer healthy support for your teeth