Shirin, the qualified and gentle Dental Hygienist at Silicon Dental Centre, is an expert in managing gum disease. She provides Patients with the support needed to keep their smiles healthy, through regular professional cleaning and dental health education, including teaching the correct brushing technique.
The majority of adults in the UK have suffered from gum disease to a degree. The initial symptoms which patients often identify are bleeding gums and bad breath. This is the early stage of gum disease, which is reversible, and is termed Gingivitis.
If gingivitis is neglected, and left untreated, it can progress to a condition termed Periodontitis. This condition is not reversible, and involves destruction of the tissues that support our teeth and keep them in position. Ultimately, bone that holds the teeth in our jaw starts to reduce, eventually resulting in loose teeth that will fall out.
During your visit, our hygienist will:
- Assess your current oral hygiene regime and technique
- Removes plaque and calculus deposits
- Removes stains present on your teeth
- Provide oral hygiene education
- Assess and provide diet advice
- Suggest products that improve the efficiency of at home cleaning
Some other high risk factors which can lead to gum disease include:
- Family history of gum disease